Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Challenge

So, one thing I struggle with as an at home mom is goals. You go to work, you have a task, you complete it. You either do well or you don't. You get feedback, you adjust, then take on a new project. You get reviewed yearly, get new goals, then hopefully receive a promotion, or raise to reward your performance.

Now, I'm not saying I am never thanked for the thing I do and the house, not at all. My family does a great job at that. But you know, " yay mom, you did laundry " just doesn't have the same oomph as " yay lynda, you really nailed that project."

I digress

So, what I have had to do to keep direction in my life is set my own goals. Be it repainting the house, making quilts or doing something physical, I set goals.

Last year I set a goal to run a half marathon. Four months of training and I did it. Very proud of myself. This year for a physical goal I am stumped. I don't want to do another half. Did the mud run thing last year. Did a super sprint tri. Maybe I will do a sprint tri. It is a bit longer...

So my crossfit box starts talking about the crossfit open. Anyone can enter. I haven't a chance in hades to make it past this round, but I thought it would be fun. We found out what the first workout is tonight. Fun isn't the word I will use for this.

I realized that this may be my physical challenge goal this year. I can so talk my way out of doing it. I mean really, I physically can't do a 100 Or a 120 lb snatch. I just can't. But I can challenge myself to do the best I can. I know without a doubt, if I talk myself out of this, I will fail. I will regret.

That is a strange thing, but also a gift...I know I will regret if I don't do. I can see it before. I don't have to wait.

So here it is. My goal. I have expectations. I will either meet them or fall short. Here is my measuring stick.

God help me.





No comments: